The Sourcing Matters Series highlights & explains the ethical sourcing & benefits of each Kura ingredient. We believe transparency is key in changing the food industry, so we promise to #ownourroots every day.
I’ll admit, I used to think protein powder was just for body builders, and was hesitant to include it in my lifestyle. In my quest for wholesome hiking and climbing snacks, I decided to tune into the protein powder radio waves. Once I learned more about Kura’s process and the on-the-go benefits protein powder provides, I never looked back. A big part of appreciating Kura’s ethical sourcing came after learning the ugly truth of food industry norms in the United States. I’ll give you the bad news first, but it will make the good news sooo much sweeter, I promise. We’re going to take a deep dive into our sourcing practices, and the benefits of Kura’s high-quality approach to protein powder.
THE UGLY TRUTH…EEEK
Protein powder tends to have a stigma surrounding it – we might wonder, ‘what’s in it, how is it made, is it healthy for me to consume?’ With dairy protein, we may assume that it’s guilty until proven innocent, and rightfully so after the cacophony we’ve seen from most of the United States dairy industry. The United States does not have any federal legislation that protects agricultural animals like cows, so they aren’t guaranteed to have sufficient living conditions. Not only is this morally wrong, it also produces low quality dairy protein. Yikes. This disaster has helped fuel the rise in popularity of plant-based products, including plant based vegan protein powders.
It can be easy to assume that plant based protein powder is synonymous with untainted nutrition, but not all plant based protein powders are created equally. Depending on how plant protein is grown and extracted, harmful heavy metals, pesticides & contaminants can be left behind in the final product. Even when looking at this category of protein, ethical sourcing is still important.
You might be thinking, “Shit, is anything holy anymore?” Don’t worry, there are a lot of great companies leading the charge in a food revolution by providing ethically sourced, clean & high-quality products. Which (drum roll please) brings us to the sweet, sweet Kura difference:
THE GOOD STUFF…ETHICAL PLANT PROTEIN
Our plant based vegan protein is a unique blend of pea, oat & sunflower protein, which delivers a complete amino acid profile. This is super important, as your body needs 20 different amino acids to form a protein. Nine of these 20 are not produced by your body and must be consumed, and you can find them in our Plant Based Vegan Wellness Powder! Here is a detailed breakdown of our pea, oat and sunflower proteins:
• Kura’s certified organic, non-GMO pea protein is made using only water and a mechanical process to remove most of the starch and fiber content, leaving the concentrated, chemical-free, protein powder behind. No solvents are ever used! Our peas are 100% North American grown and have the most complete amino acid profile and the lowest sodium content of any pea protein in the market.
• Kura’s gluten-free, non-GMO oat protein is rich in dietary-indispensable amino acids, including the desirable branched chain amino acids that are important for muscle growth and muscle recovery. In addition to 55%+ protein content, our oat contains naturally occurring oat polysaccharides, Oat oil, mainly composed of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, and a small amount of oat beta glucan soluble fiber. The protein component of the oat bran is extracted from 100% Swedish oats using a gentle, patented process sans chemicals or solvents.
Our certified organic, non-GMO sunflower protein is sourced from sunflower seeds grown on German farms, which are carefully processed to concentrate the valuable protein. It contains essential amino acids, B-vitamins, valuable polyphenols and is rich in fiber and contains nearly 10% glutamic acid. Our organic sunflower protein is 55% protein in dry mass. It is obtained by a special cold pressing of peeled organic sunflower seeds and finely ground. In an additional manufacturing step, the organic sunflower seeds are CO2-extracted to reduce amount of fat and increase protein content. As with all of Kura's ingredients, we guarantee constantly high product quality throughout the entire production process.
THE GOOD STUFF…ETHICAL DAIRY PROTEIN
Our pasture raised dairy protein is born from beautiful New Zealand farms, where our cows roam free year-round. We like to think that our cows are so much more than “grass-fed,” as that could entail they are still enclosed. Because of New Zealand’s 2000+ hours of sunlight per year, these gals get to graze on lush Kura clovers & explore their pasture almost every day. You can trust that these cows are being treated with the respect they deserve, get the deets on our Happy Cow Promise here.
Ethical dairy farming is in our blood as New Zealand is #1 for animal welfare standards, according to the Animal Protection Index. It’s not only our normal to treat animals well, it’s a critical part of New Zealand farming legislation. These laws ensure all farmers are compliant with things like food safety, building regulations, environmental issues & animal welfare standards. Included in these regulations are the Five Freedoms, or the basic rights every animal deserves:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst
- Freedom from discomfort
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease
- Freedom from fear and distress
- Freedom to express normal behavior
Rest easy knowing that our Pasture Raised Dairy Wellness Powder is rBST-free, nutrient-rich and higher in CLAs, vitamin E, beta carotene and omega-3s. Our final dairy protein product is a blend of whole milk powder, milk protein concentrate and whey protein concentrate, all of which are extracted using a spray drying process. We don’t strip our dairy protein of any good stuff, so you get a wholesome blend of healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and of course, protein.
JUMP ON THE PROTEIN POWDER TRAIN
If you already include protein powder in your diet, this should help you see the difference in Kura’s products. If you don’t already use a protein powder, here’s why you should consider it:
- Like we discussed, a complete amino acid profile is an important part of your diet. If you’ve been climbing at the gym or just got back from a run, your body needs more protein building blocks to support muscle health and overall bodily function. With one serving of our Plant Based Vegan Wellness Powder or Pasture Raised Dairy Wellness Powder, you get a healthy helping of clean protein.
- Timing is everything, which is a huge reason I jumped on the protein powder train. When you bust your booty working out, you want to hold on to those results, right? A big part of that is consuming protein during your anabolic window – this is thought to last for one hour following a workout. Being strategic with your protein intake during your anabolic window leads to muscle growth where muscles have been used during your sweat sesh. Our Wellness Powders are the perfect solution for quick protein consumption during this minute window of time – so whether it’s an on-the-go recipe, or running back to your kitchen for a scoop of Wellness Powder, Kura easily fits into your daily routine.
Have any questions about what we covered today? Send them my way along with any suggestions you might have on protein consumption! Also, be sure to stay tuned for additional posts in our Sourcing Matters Series.
Keep it real,
The Kura Tribe Copywriter
Dina's favorite flavor is Chai, check it out here.